Why I am at MATC
My name is Nicholas Tsioutsiopoulos. I am 27 years old and currently earning my associates degree for Web Design and Programming. In order to explain why I attend MATC, we will have to take a step into my past!
I graduated from Greenfield High School in 2009. I took a few years off from school to work. I've worked a variety of jobs from bar tending to management in a restaurant and everything in between. I also was a forklift operator at Sprecher Brewery and a U-Verse Premise Technician at AT&T. After a few years away from school I decided to get back into the swing of things.
Unfortunately, a few years worth of rust and a lack of motivation crippled my GPA, and I quickly spiraled into academic suspension. A few years fly by and once again I find myself wondering how I can advance my education and acquire a degree.
I've always had a passion for computers and technology. When I was 16, I decided to build my own PC. Having earned my tax return and knowing virtually nothing about computer hardware, I quickly spent 1,200 dollars. Once all the hardware arrived, the realization that I have absolutely no idea what I am doing slowly sank in.
After a few hours of google and trial and error I finished the build. The moment of truth arrived, and I hit the power button. Nothing. Upset and defeated, I took my PC to best buy and brought it before the infamous Geek squad. After spending 60 dollars, he opened the case and literally switched two wires around, then closed the case. That's it for 60 dollars. My PC sprang to life and from that moment I was hooked.
I also realized from that point how useful technology and the internet was. I learned how to build a computer (and somehow all the hardware fit and were miraculously compatible) off of using google and youtube. I decided I wanted to purse a career in this field, and learn the software and programming side to the PC world. I knew my best bet was to get a degree. Youtube videos can only get you so far. That's when I looked to MATC for my future.
After realizing the errors in my ways while I was younger, I decided to finish my education. I am now taking my first IT classes and am excited to continue towards my degree.
Comments
Post a Comment